Back to Shool in Plainfield, IN
Home Safety Tips For Parents with Children going Back To School
Home security and safety are especially important if children will be alone at home for any length of time. Walking home alone, entering an empty house, and staying safe at home can be a challenge. But with guidance, rules, and helpful products, parents can help children stay safe at home.
- Teach kids to lock the door and not open it for anyone: Children should know how to properly lock all doors. Teach them that they should never open the front door while they’re home alone, even for deliveries or mail.
- Show kids how to use the alarm system: Make sure children know how to properly use the alarm system, both arming and disarming it. You should also show them how to hit the panic button and what to do if there’s an emergency.
- Plan a safe route to school: Work with your child to plan a direct route to school. Avoid as many street crossings as possible as well as open fields, vacant lots, and desolate areas.
- Help children memorize important numbers: Teach kids their home address, their home number, your cell phone number, and the number of a neighbor who can help. You should also teach them how to use 911 in an emergency.
- Teach children about stranger danger: Make sure kids know not to talk to strangers on their way home from school, even if they seem friendly or helpful.
- Make an emergency plan for fire: Work on an emergency plan together and determine how your child will exit in case there’s a fire.
- Keep communication open: Ask your child to text or call when they get home each day. Encourage them to call you if there’s any problem at all so you can help.
- Have a plan for lost keys: Even responsible children can lose keys. Choose a destination for a spare key or leave one with a close neighbor or family member.
- Establish rules for safety at home: Determine whether children will be allowed to use the stove or oven when home alone, rules for visitors or leaving the house, even screen time. Set kids up for a safe afternoon at home by establishing your expectations.
Stay Safe and Have a Wonderful School Year from your local SERVPRO of Hendricks County!